Regional Office of Education #13

Serving Clinton, Jefferson, Marion and Washington Counties

Paraprofessional License Information

What is a Paraprofessional?  

Requirements for Obtaining a Paraprofessional License

  • You must be at least 19 years old
  • You must have at least one of the following: 
    • Associate's degree or higher
    • 60 semester hours of coursework
    • High School Diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Parapro
    • High School Diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys: 
      • Applied Mathematics/Applied Math (with a score of four)
      • Reading for Information/Workplace Documents (with a score of four)

Paraprofessional licenses are valid for five years and may be renewed with the payment of registration fees. 

Steps to Obtaining a Paraprofessional License 

Create an ELIS account. Visit At the very top of the page, click System Quick Links and select ELIS: Educator Licensure Information System. Under the Educator Access column, click the link, Log in to your ELIS accountClick this link to see an example.

Create an account and follow the prompts. You must be at least 19 years of age to obtain a paraprofessional license.

Once you create an account and log in, click on Apply for a Paraprofessional Endorsement. You will use a credit card to pay a $100 application fee, plus a convenience fee.

Email, mail, or drop off one of the following to the Regional Office of Education #13 listed below and staff will scan it into your ELIS account:

  1. Official (unopened) transcript showing proof of associates degree or higher from an accredited institution and your high school diploma or GED transcript.
  2. Official (unopened) transcript showing proof of a minimum of 60 hours of college coursework and your high school diploma or GED transcript. 
  3. Proof of passing the ACT Work Keys Assessment or ETS Paraprofessional Exam and your high school diploma or GED transcript.

To view and take a practice test, create a free practice account using this link WorkKeys Practice Test.

The Paraprofessional test is offered in both the Carlyle (930B Fairfax, Carlyle) and Mt. Vernon (1710 Broadway, Mt. Vernon) offices. The cost is $60. Be aware that our offices don't take credit or debit cards. Cash or check only. Please bring a government issued photo ID to check in.

* Please call 618-594-2432 for next available dates in the Carlyle office or 618-244-8040 for available dates in Mt. Vernon office. 

 Registering Your Paraprofessional License

  1. After the state reviews your credentials, your license will change from Pending Review to Issued and you will need to register your license. ISBE will send you an automated email when they issue the license.
  2. Log into your ELIS account, click on Registration and follow the steps. With a credit card, you will pay $5.00 per year plus a convenience fee for your registration.

Renewal Requirements

The only requirements for renewal of your paraprofessional license is to pay the $25 renewal fee every five years. Professional development is not required for this license. Click this link for more information regarding renewal.

What does licensure allow a Paraprofessional to do?

  • A Paraprofessional with an Associate's Degree can serve as a Short Term Substitute (STS) teacher (must complete ROE #13 sub authorization process
  • A Paraprofessional without an Associate's Degree (60 hours) can serve as a STS, but must first apply for the STS license in ELIS and complete the ROE #13 sub authorization process) 
  • Paraprofessionals with test scores only cannot serve as STS and are not eligible for a STS license. 
  • Paraprofessionals with a Bachelor's Degree can substitute teach on the Paraprofessional license (must complete ROE #13 sub authorization process)

Substitute Paraprofessional Packet

Clinton County
930 B Fairfax, Carlyle, IL
Phone: 618-594-2432
Fax: 618-594-7192
Hours 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00

Jefferson County
1710 Broadway,
Mt. Vernon 62864
Phone: 618-244-8040
Fax: 618-241-7868
Hours 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00

Marion County
1475 West Whittaker Street, Salem IL 62881
Phone: 618-548-3885
Hours 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00